Wilderness First Aid Course
This course is for people that frequent the outdoors, camp counselors, hikers, family trips to experience the outdoors, and want to learn to be better prepared when EMS can be delayed. The minimum age to attend this course is 16 y.o.
Course topics include
Preparation for help and Assessments; Scene and Patient Primary and Secondary
Preventing and Caring for Injuries and Illnesses; Controlling bleeding, Shock
Performing a Hands-on Physical Exam
Other Wilderness Considerations and many more
Certification in Adult CPR and AED is required. CPR IS NOT RENEWED IN THIS COURSE
Prior completion of a basic first aid class is strongly encouraged.
ASHI-approved training materials
- • Student Book (one per participant; print or digital) This is included in the course fee
Recognized certification period
• For 2 years
Successful completion (certification)
• The certification card is included in the course
• Performance evaluation: All students must perform required skills competently without assistance to receive a certification card
Recommended time to complete
• Initial training: Approximately 16 hoursBring to class REQUIRED
• Food: Snacks and lunch. Refrigerator onsite
• Water for the day, excluding lunch. especially if the heat index is high
• Notebook, writing utensils pencil/pen
• Rain gear if needed; hat, jacket, pants, boots-hiking shoes
• Sunscreen, hat, appropriate clothing for heat
• Weather-appropriate clothing. Wicking for heat/cold, wet
THIS COURSE WILL BE INDOORS AND OUTDOORS AND WILL BE HELD RAIN OR SHINE.
PLEASE BE PREPARED FOR ALL TYPES OF WEATHER, YOU MAY GET WET, DIRTY, AND OR SWEATY
A Liability Waiver form is required before attending this course
If you need to cancel prior to 48 hours/2 days before the 1st day, of course, you will receive a full refund. If you need to cancel under 48 hours, you can be moved to another course date within 6 months or choose to lose your cost of the course.
If SAL cancels the course due to low attendance or unforeseen circumstances you will receive a full refund. Weather isn’t typically a reason for cancelations unless safety has been determined to be a factor.
SAVE A LIFE will contact you by email and phone if the course is canceled.